- In the spring of 2012, I co-founded and chaired the first EdCamp Cleveland, a participant-driven education conference for teachers. I also chaired the second EdCamp Cleveland a year later, increasing the number of participants and sessions by 50% over the first year.
- From 2007-2012, I co-hosted the EdTechWeekly webcast on the EdTechTalk network. As an active participant in this all-volunteer community of educators, I have also provided support to fellow webcasters and assistance in managing and maintaining the community’s servers.
- In 2009, I served as one of two Americans on a team of teachers coordinated by Education Beyond Borders, a Canadian non governmental organization engaged in sustainable professional development efforts in South Africa and Kenya. As part of this team, I spent six weeks in Cape Town, South Africa and Mbita, Kenya facilitating educational technology workshops for teachers.
- From 2007 to 2009, I served on FirstEnergy’s Educatonal Advisory Council.
- Since 2008, I have served in a leadership capacity at Trinity Lutheran Church in Kent, Ohio, first as a member of the Christian Education Committee and later as a member of the Music and Worship Committee.
- From 2005-2013, I was a member of the Society of Akron Area Zymurgists, in Akron, Ohio.